I’m getting going on the new office project. Remember that? Anyway, today I went shopping at Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg. Sadly, I don’t have budget for any actual “exotic” lumber, so I got ten sheets of maple 3/4 ply, one sheet of cherry 3/4 ply, and three each of maple in 1/4 and 1/2 thickness. To get all this home, I rented a U-Haul truck for a few hours. I loaded it all into the garage, then set up for parting out the plywood.
The configuration is easy. Lightly glue (I used a low-tack spray adhesive) some foam to a sheet of plywood. Lay that out on saw horses. Then, one sheet at at time, use a straight edge, a couple of clamps, and a circular saw with a high-tooth count, thin kerf blade to part the sheets into “close” sizes. I sketched out on paper the cuts for each of the cabinets, and laid those out to minimize waste, then started cutting. As each component comes off the foam, I label it with some painters tape and a marker. By the time I was “done” and cleaned up for the day, I’d dismantled 8 sheets into the components to build the carcasses four shelving units, four base cabinets, and one upper cabinet.
Now what’s downstairs is ready and of a manageable size to work with the table saw. That and a panel sled, plus some housecleaning should fill the day, tomorrow.